Stacks Image 101371
Magistrate's Office
77 Fairfax Street, Room 202
Berkeley Springs, WV 25411
Phone: (304)258-8631
Fax: (304)258-8639

Kermit Ambrose - Magistrate
Debra Ditto - Magistrate
Stacks Image 77

Magistrate Courts - Trial Courts of Limited Jurisdiction

Magistrates issue arrest and search warrants, hear misdemeanor cases, conduct preliminary examinations in felony cases, and hear civil cases with $5,000 or less in dispute. Magistrates also issue emergency protective orders in cases involving domestic violence. The circuit courts hear appeals of magistrate court cases.

Magistrates run for four-year terms in partisan elections. They do not have to be lawyers. Circuit judges appoint magistrates to fill vacancies. An appointee who wishes to remain in office must run in the next election.

Morgan County has two Magistrates:
  • Kermit Ambrose
  • Debra Ditto
The West Virginia Judiciary is the best resource for information and forms for the legal system in West Virginia.
Free Legal Information and Resources are available on the internet. You may also call 1-800-642-8279
  • Question-and-Answer articles
  • Brochures and pamphlets
  • Links to other legal web sites
  • A searchable list of over 500 helpful organizations
  • Information about Legal Aid offices and services

West Virginia State Bar Lawyer Referral Service
will refer you to lawyers who will talk to you for up to one half hour for ten dollars.1-304-558-7991,

Legal Aid of West Virginia
Provides legal services in certain kinds of cases if your income meets low income guidelines.

Lawyer Information Service Hotline
Call and talk to a lawyer for free.
1-800-642-3617, Tuesdays 6-8 p.m.

Attorney General's Office Consumer Hotline
Call for advice in consumer rip-off cases.

West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals
has a free hotline where you can hear prerecorded information and leave a message for additional assistance.
1-304-558-WV CT (9828) Help Line 1-304-4219 TTY (for the hearing impaired)

Family Court Mediation Services
Ask for a list of approved mediators through Family Court Services at the West Virginia Supreme Court